It is always important to protect your health, including your oral health. Your teeth play a vital role in our everyday lives. Your teeth affect how we talk, eat, and the appearance of our smile. Without your teeth, simple tasks like eating can become very difficult. That is why keeping your teeth safe from bad habits can help preserve your teeth for a lifetime.
Our dentists at Frandsen Dental in West Jordan, Utah, encourage you to take care of your teeth and oral health. Brushing and flossing do go a long way to helping your teeth stay clean and healthy. However, other things in our lives could be placing our teeth at risk.
Here are some habits many people do each day that could damage your teeth and oral health:
- Disregarding oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing is placing your teeth in danger of cavities and gum disease, which could lead to tooth loss and eventually bone loss.
- Chewing on pen caps puts pressure and strain on the joints in your jaw called TMJ’s.
- Eating disorders are perilous to your health and can cause a plethora of problems to your teeth and gums. If you are living with an eating disorder, please seek professional help right away.
- Chewing on ice can be hurtful to your teeth because ice is a very tough substance strong enough to crack or chip a tooth.
- Nail biting strains your TMJ’s and can cause pain to your joints in your future.
As you can see, there are many ways your teeth can be damaged. If you strive to protect your teeth and take care of them, then your teeth can stay in healthy shape throughout your lifetime. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you are in need of a dental checkup, please call us right away and make an appointment at 801-890-0030. We are always happy to take your call.